This page is here to help you figure out whether you would be interested in having David Merkel, CFA, Principal of Aleph Investments, LLC manage money for you.
$100,000 my minimum size for a separately managed account. A few of my friends on the board of the CFA Institute – Baltimore say that I serve an under-served part of the market. Their minimums are much higher than mine.
Please note that it should not be assumed that investments made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of the investments referenced here.
Here are all of my documents, with a brief description:
- This file is a certification, not an audit, of how my investments performed from August 2000 to December 2010. These were my personal investments done prior to the creation of Aleph Investments. I use the same style today as then, but styles go in and out of favor, so please understand that future returns could be considerably worse than what are attested here.
- The May 2011 Newsletter details my bond strategy, which tries to be conservative in ordinary times, and aggressive after a credit crisis.
- The New ADV 2 is my disclosure document required by the regulators.
- Reasons not to invest with me… is my risks document. And I mean it. If you are going to invest with anyone, someone had better tell you in plain English what might go wrong.
- My Business Card
- My most recent client newsletter — it comes out quarterly
One thing that is not included is what I call my Pitchbook, which is my explanation of my stock investing processes and how they have done over time. Please e-mail me to get a copy. I don’t post it on the web, because then people could get my portfolio for free. It belongs to my clients. It’s filled with lots of interesting descriptions and data regarding how I manage client monies — and so far, I am the largest client.
Packet 2 gives a fuller idea of what I do. It contains:
- What you get from Aleph Investments
- What Aleph Investments gets from you
- Investment Policy Statement for Aleph Investments’ Equity Strategy
- Investment Policy Statement for Aleph Investments’ Fixed Income Strategy
- Aleph Investments, LLC – Proxy Voting Procedures
- And another copy of “Reasons not to invest with me”
Finally, the Aleph contract is what you fill out to start an account with me. When you do that, I will send you an invitation to set up an account with Interactive Brokers, so that I can manage a separate account of assets for you.
Interactive Brokers is my broker and the custodian for each of my client’s assets. In setting up an account with Interactive Brokers, some people have a hard time doing that, so if it proves difficult at all, I offer my help. I will even set up the account if it proves too difficult.
Regardless of whether you choose to use my services or not, I thank you for considering me. Please send me any questions you might have.